Hush Puppy Mix in a Jar
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dried
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Store in a resealable plastic bag or jar.
- Attach the following recipe to the jar.
Makes 2 1/4 cups mix.
In a deep skillet, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine contents of jar with 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and 1 beaten
egg. Stir until well blended. Drop mixture by spoonsful into hot oil. Fry until
golden brown and thoroughly cooked through.
Drain on paper towels and serve.