Grand Old Glory Bread
A fun and creative way to enjoy bread!
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 to 5 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 2 to 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in oil,
honey, 2 cups of bread flour and salt; mix for 2 minutes. Measure out half of
the mixture into another bowl, about 2 cups, cover; and set aside.
- With the other half of mixture in the bowl, stir in gluten and enough whole
wheat flour to form a soft dough. Knead for 10 minutes; place in greased bowl,
cover and let rise until double.
- With remaining half of dough mixture, gradually add enough bread flour to
make a soft dough. Knead 10 minutes; place in greased bowl, cover and let rise
- Punch down both doughs. Cover; let rise for 10 minutes. Grease a 17 x 12
x 1 –inch pan.
- Roll each dough into a 7 x 16 –inch rectangle. Cut seven 1-inch whole wheat
stripes and six 1-inch white stripes. Alternate each one for the flag.
- To make the stars, flatten remaining white stripe until 1/4 -inch thick.
Cut stars with a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter. In upper left corner, place a few
stars to resemble the flag. To adhere the stars make an indentation in the flag
with finger and moisten back of star with beaten egg white. Cover with plastic
wrap and let rise until almost doubled.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Tent the loaf with foil
the last 10 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 36 sliced servings
Calories/Serving: 126 calories/slice
Nutrition analysis: One serving provides approximately 126 calories, 4 g
protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol,
39 mcg folate, 1 g iron and 98 g sodium
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Wheat Foods Council
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.