Angel Food Flag Cake
Family and friends will eagerly devour this sensational patriotic dessert made
with bountiful summer berries!
- 1 package Betty Crocker® 1-step white angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened (thawed and drained) raspberries
- 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons seedless red raspberry jam, melted
- 1 (8 ounce)
container frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained)
- Move oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat cake mix and 1 1/4 cups cold water in extra-large glass or metal bowl with
electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Pour into 2 ungreased loaf pans, 9 x 5 x 3 inches, or 3 ungreased loaf pans,
8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
- Bake 9-inch pans 35 to 45 minutes, 8 1/2-inch pans 28 to 38 minutes, or until
top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not under-bake.
- Immediately turn each pan on its side on heatproof surface and let rest until
- Run knife around edges; remove from pans.
- Line each same loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing wrap to extend over edges.
Place raspberries, sugar and jam in food processor; cover and process, using 3 quick
on-and-off motions, until coarsely chopped. Cut each loaf cake horizontally into
4 slices, using serrated or electric knife. Place 1 slice in bottom of each pan;
spread 3 tablespoons of the raspberry mixture over each. Top with another slice
- Repeat with remaining raspberry mixture and cake slices.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours until chilled.
- To remove loaves easily from pans, place serving plate upside down on top of
pan; turn pan upside down onto plate. Remove pan and plastic wrap.
- Cut each loaf crosswise into 8 slices, using serrated or electric knife.
- Serve with whipped topping and blueberries.
Yield: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Prepare cake mix as directed in high altitude directions
Health Twist: Use reduced-fat frozen whipped topping for a fat-free flag cake.
Fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries and seedless strawberry jam are good
alternatives to the raspberries and raspberry jam.
Did You Know...Angel food cake is lower in fat than most other sweets. Why? Angel
food cake is made with egg whites and no added fats. Egg whites contain only about
20 of a whole egg's 75 calories.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 175 (Calories from Fat 25 ); Total
Fat 3 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 190 mg; Total Carbohydrate
37 g (Dietary Fiber 3 g); Protein 3 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 14 %; Calcium 0%; Iron 2 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Fruit
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
© 2008 ®/TM General Mills.