Firecracker Red, White and Blue Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and
egg whites called for on cake mix box
- Red food color
- Blue food color
- 1 (12 ounce) container Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan.
- Make cake batter as directed on box, using water, oil and egg whites.
- Pour 1 cup of the batter into small bowl; stir in red food color until well mixed.
- Pour another cup of the batter into separate bowl; stir in blue food color until
- Pour red cake batter into bottom of pan.
- Carefully pour remaining white batter over red batter in pan.
- Carefully pour blue batter over white batter. (Blue batter does not need to cover
white batter completely; it looks better if it just forms a ring in the center of
the white batter.)
- Bake as directed on box or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cooling rack over cookie sheet. Turn pan upside down onto cooling
rack. Cool cake completely, about 30 minutes.
- When cake is cool, divide frosting evenly into 3 microwavable bowls.
- Microwave 1 bowl of frosting uncovered on High a few seconds until smooth enough
to drizzle over cake. With spoon, drizzle all of white frosting back and forth around
cake in a striping pattern.
- Repeat microwaving second bowl of frosting until smooth. Stir in a few drops
blue food color until well blended. Drizzle over cake, scattering frosting back
- Repeat with remaining bowl of frosting and red food color, making sure red, white
and blue frostings can be seen on cake.
- Let cake stand at room temperature until frosting is set before serving.
Prep Time 20 min
Total Time 2 hr 20 min
When you add the batter to the pan, do not mix with a spoon. Just pour it in
so the colors don’t mix but rather, just rest on top of each other in the pan.
Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Cake can be made a day or two in advance.
Blogger Arlene Cummings of Cooking With Sugar shares a favorite recipe.
Recipe and photo credit:
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.