Independence Day Flag Cake
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4
teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 quart small evenly-sized
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a
13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla;
beat on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder
and salt; add alternately with water to butter mixture. Mix just until combined
(do not overmix).
- Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 15 minutes then remove from pan. Cool
completely on wire rack. Place cake on cardboard that has been covered with
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: In large bowl, combine
confectioners' sugar and butter. Add milk and vanilla extract; beat to spreading
- Frost cake with the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
- Topping: Arrange blueberries in upper left corner of
cake, covering about 1/4 of the cake.
- Arrange strawberries in rows to create the red stripes.