This patriotic red, white and blue cake is perfect for Memorial Day, Independence Day,
or any time of the year.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
or margarine, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ®
TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
- 1 (8 ounce) frozen lite
whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan; line with wax paper.
- Heat water to boiling in small saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in potato flakes
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter until crumbly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after
each addition; beat in potatoes.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk. Stir in morsels. Spoon
into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- Transfer to serving platter.
- Frost sides and top of cake with whipped topping.
- Just prior to serving, arrange strawberry slices and blueberries on top of cake
to represent the American Flag.
Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 45 mins
Cooling Time: 15 mins |
Servings: 12 servings
Recipe and photo credit:
Nestlé® and meals.com.