Mother Lode Carrot Cake with
Cream Cheese Frosting
I think this is the best. I like 'em HEAVY and rich and fiddled with one
and came up with this incredible cake! Easy? What good thing is?
- 1 (12 to 14 ounce) bag frozen carrots
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (divided)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup drained, crushed pineapple
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 9 tablespoons sweet butter, room temperature
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and drop in 1 tablespoon
cinnamon with frozen carrots. Boil until carrots are tender; drain but do not
rinse. Puree carrots and cinnamon in a processor or blender and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch springform
pans (You could also use three 9-inch cake pans, grease and cut a parchment
circle to fit the bottom; greasing parchment. Bake for less time and test as
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking
soda, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, allspice and cardamom. Add oil, eggs and 1 tablespoon
vanilla, beating well until combined. Fold in walnuts, coconut, pineapple and
carrot puree. Pour into prepared pans and bake on the middle rack for 50 minutes
or until edges pull away from the sides and cake tester comes out clean when
inserted near the center. Cool on rack for 3 hours before removing from pan.
- Frosting: Cream together the cream cheese and sweet butter
in a medium bowl. Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar and continue to beat
until smooth and free of lumps. Add vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Frost cake with frosting and serve.
Cake also freezes well if you wrap in plastic wrap and then foil.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com.