Red, White and Blue Angel
Food Ice Cream Cake
1 (16-ounce) box angel food cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
4 cups (2 pints) strawberry ice cream, softened
2 cups (1 pint) blueberry ice cream, softened
Sweetened whipped cream
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup fresh small whole strawberries, rinsed and drained, for garnish
- Remove the top oven rack and move the other rack to the
lowest position. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside an ungreased 10-inch
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions,
using 1 1/4 cups water. The batter should be well-combined. Pour the batter
into the pan, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 44 minutes until it is golden
brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert the pan onto
the neck of a heatproof glass bottle. Allow it to cool completely, 1 to 1 1/2
- Remove the pan from the bottle. Run a long, sharp knife
around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a platter that can withstand
- Carefully split the cake horizontally into 4 layers.
Place the bottom layer on the platter and spread with half the strawberry ice
cream. Place the platter in the freezer and freeze until the ice cream is solid,
about 1 hour. Remove the platter from the freezer. Place the second layer of
cake on top of the strawberry ice cream and spread the blueberry ice cream on
top. Place the platter in the freezer and freeze for 1 hour or until the ice
cream is solid.
- Remove the platter from the freezer and add the third
layer of cake and spread with the remaining strawberry ice cream.
- Place the remaining cake layer on top. Cover the cake
with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until the cake is quite firm, 2 hours.
- When the cake is frozen, prepare the Sweetened Cream.
- Remove the platter from the freezer and spread the top
and sides of the cake quickly with the Sweetened Cream, using clean, smooth
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the top. Garnish with
- Slice and serve at once or wrap the cake lightly with
waxed paper and return the platter to the freezer.
- Store the cake, covered in wax paper or in a plastic
cake saver, in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Yield: 16 servings
Per serving: fats, 12 grams (39% of calories); calories, 268; cholesterol,
39 milligrams; carbohydrate, 38 grams; fiber, 0 grams; protein, 5 grams; sodium,