Red, White and Blue Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose
- 3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa or Hershey's European style cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
blueberries and strawberries
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line (2 1/2 inch diameter) muffin cups with
paper bake cups.
- In large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract; beat on medium speed of electric mixer
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be very thin).
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Garnish with blueberries and
- Frosting: In medium bowl, cream together the butter and confectioners' sugar.
Add the milk and vanilla extract, beating until frosting is of spreading consistency.
Yield: about 2 cups of frosting