Sparkling Lemon Picnic Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest (from 2-3 lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (not fat free variety)
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar (unsifted)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour
9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Cake: In medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder
and baking soda. Set aside.
- In large bowl with mixer on high speed, beat the sugar,
butter, oil and lemon zest until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add 2 of the eggs
and the egg yolk and beat on high for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and add remaining
2 eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on high for 4 minutes until light and sugar
- To creamed mixture, add half of the dry ingredients and
1/2 cup of sour cream. Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl well.
Add remaining dry ingredients and sour cream. Mix on low until smooth. Beat
batter on high speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or
until center just starts to spring back when touched. Top of cake should be
a light golden color.
- While cake bakes, make the glaze.
- Glaze: Combine powdered sugar
and lemon juice in medium mixing bowl. Whisk or stir until very smooth and opaque.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately poke small holes
into cake using a wooden pick. Slowly pour half of the glaze over cake, spreading
slowly to cover entire surface. Let cake absorb glaze, then slowly pour remaining
glaze over cake. Allow cake to rest 5 minutes and absorb glaze.
- Turn on oven broiler and broil cake until glaze just
starts to bubble and cake top is golden brown.
- Cool cake for 2 hours before cutting. Dust with additional
powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
Yield: 24 servings
Baker's hint: Start pouring glaze over center of cake. This will help the
cake absorb the glaze evenly so it doesn't pool in the corners.
Nutrition values per serving: 214 calories, 9 g fat, 31 g carbohydrates,
0 g fiber, 2 g protein, 54 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/6/01 10:14:32 am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Independence Day Recipes