Independence Day Recipes
Classic Charcoal Grilled Chicken
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds cut up chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Arrange chicken in 9 x 13 x 2 inch dish.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; pour half of the marinade over chicken; cover and refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate bowl of remaining marinade for basting. Drain chicken; discard liquid.
- Wear a hot-mitt and use tongs to arrange medium-hot briquettes in a ring, leaving 12 inches in center free of coals.
- Grill chicken on covered grill, skin-side down, in center of grid, directly over coal-free area for 25 minutes.
- Baste with reserved marinade. Turn.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink at the bone.