Independence Day Recipes
Lemonade Fried Chicken
- 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 pounds frying chicken, cut up
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix lemonade concentrate and water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken in larger bowl. Refrigerate for 2 hours or longer.
- Drain chicken and reserve liquid.
- Mix together the flour, salt, and pepper in a small paper bag. Add well drained chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in large skillet over moderate heat. Add floured chicken; cook until evenly browned, turning pieces over carefully.
- Remove chicken and arrange in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Brush chicken with melted butter. Add reserved lemonade.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, basting chicken with lemonade from pan every 15 minutes. About 15 minutes before chicken is done, drain off excess juice from pan.
- Serve hot.