Red, White and Blue Starbursts
Mix and match colorful shortbread stars to make these eye-catching and patriotic
cookies. Split your base cookie dough into three portions and add red or blue food
color to two of the portions. Roll dough and cut out 3-inch stars, then cut and
remove 1-inch stars from the center of each large star. Recombine large stars with
a center star of a different color.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Challenge Butter (salted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all
- Red and Blue food colors
- Cream butter, gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Blend in flour.
- Divide prepared cookie base into 3 portions; add red food color to one portion,
blue to another and keep the largest portion uncolored.
- Shape into flattened rounds, and place into gallon sized plastic food storage
bags. Center dough in bag and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Seal bags and chill dough
for 20 minutes or up to several days.
- Cut out with 3-inch cutter and then use smaller 1-inch cutter to remove centers.
- Add colored centers to plain stars and plain centers to colored stars and bake
in preheated 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
Yield: approximately 4 dozen
Reprinted with permission from