Americana Watermelon Basket
Load your basket with luscious watermelon, honeydew melon and fresh blueberries.
- 1 large red seedless watermelon
- 1 honeydew melon
- Fresh blueberries
- Using an oblong watermelon, slice 1/4 inch off the bottom lengthwise to provide
a stable base.
- Use a pencil to draw lines for handle placement and basket opening.
- Cut the handle first, wide enough to hold stars, then make zigzag cuts with a
paring knife, all the way through the rind (be careful to not cut through handle
base on either side).
- Carefully remove sections, pull out large chunks of flesh, and cut them into
3 x 3-inch squares.
- From squares, trim off 3/4-inch thick slices to use for cutting out stars. To
cut stars use 1 1/2 to 3-inch star shaped cookie cutters.
- Next, cut out 5 large star shaped pieces from the left-over rind, (use a paring
knife if necessary), for the handle.
- Trim off red flesh and attach to basket handle with white side out with half
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove flesh from inside of basket and cut scoops into
quarters for the fruit salad. Place in bottom of the basket.
- Use a white fleshed melon such as ripe honeydew to cut out white "stripes" for
- Garnish top of fruit salad with watermelon stars, melon stripes and blueberries.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Watermelon Promotion Board
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Independence Day Recipes