Classic Strawberry Shortcakes
Rich, buttery biscuits make these shortcakes extra special! You can make the
shortcakes ahead of time and even freeze them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk
- Additional sugar
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Slightly sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it is in pea-size pieces.
- With a fork, toss mixture as you add enough milk to make a moist dough.
- On a lightly floured board, turn out dough. Pat or roll out to 3/4 inch thick.
Cut into 6 (3-inch) rounds.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine berries and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar.
- To serve, split shortcakes.
- Spoon berries onto bottom of shortcake for each serving.
- Place top half of cake on top of berries.
- Add more berries.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream.
Yield: 6 servings