- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, sweetened lightly if desired,as an accompaniment
- 1 cup berry mixture to include strawberries,blueberries
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar
to soft peaks.
- Add sugar gradually while still beating, and beat meringue to stiff peaks.
- Beat in vinegar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract.
- Onto prepared baking sheet spread meringue with the back of a spoon into 1 1/2-
to 2-inch rounds, making them slightly higher around the edges to form shells.
- Bake meringues in lower third of oven 1 hour, or until crisp on outside but soft
- Peel parchment carefully form meringues and cool meringues on a rack.
- Serve meringues topped with cream, kiwis and berry mixture.
Meringues keep in an airtight container for one day.