Popcorn Liberty Bell
- 2 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon
- String licorice
- Keep popcorn hot and crisp in a 300 degrees F oven.
- Butter sides of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. In it, combine brown sugar, molasses,
butter, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook syrup to 250 degrees F (hard-ball stage).
- Pour slowly over popcorn, stirring just to mix thoroughly.
- Butter hands lightly; quickly form popcorn balls into bell shape. *
- To apply finishing touches: make loop from licorice strings and insert in top
- Heat a little corn syrup; brush on side of bell; press licorice strings in place
to resemble the crack in the bell.
* Or lightly butter a deep slant-sided mixing bowl and an 8-inch pie pan; pack
with glazed popcorn. Unmold and press two parts of bell together.