Old Glory Cherry-Blueberry Pie
- 5 cups fresh sweet, dark cherries, rinsed and pitted, or
frozen pitted cherries (see note)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh
blueberries, rinsed and drained, or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Flag pastry
- 2 teaspoons butter
or margarine, cut into small pieces
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix cherries with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- In a smaller bowl, mix blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; gently stir 1 cup of the mixture into cherries
and 1/4 cup into blueberries.
- Spoon cherry mixture over 3/4 of the pastry in pan, leaving 1 quadrant free.
- Spoon blueberry mixture into unfilled area.
- Scatter butter evenly over fruit.
- Top filling with stars and stripes as directed for flag pastry.
- Set pie in a foil-lined 13 x 17-inch baking pan.
- Bake on the bottom rack of a 400 degrees F regular or convection oven until fruit
is bubbling in the center and pastry is well browned, about 1 hour. If pastry edges
brown too quickly (check after 40 minutes), cover loosely with foil.
- Let pie cool on a rack at least 3 hours; let stand at room temperature up to
- Cut into wedges and serve with ice cream, if desired.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
If using fresh cherries, buy about 1 3/4 pound; if using frozen, you'll
need about 1 1/2 packages, 16 ounces each.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 387(37% from fat); Fat 16g (sat 6.9g); Protein
3.8g; Cholesterol 21mg; Sodium 197mg; Fiber 2.3g; Carbohydrate 59g
Source: Sunset magazine, July 2001