Bread-and-Butter Pickle Potato Salad
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold or red thin-skinned potatoes (about 2 1/4 inches wide), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 cup finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles, plus 1/2 cup juice from jar (see notes)
- 1 cup reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 (8 ounce) red bell peppers, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup minced parsley, divided
- Salt and pepper
- In a 6- to 8-quart pan, combine potatoes and 3 quarts water.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, 20 to
- Drain well and let stand until cool enough to touch, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soak mustard seeds in about 1/2 cup hot water until
soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix mustard seeds, chopped pickles, pickle juice, mayonnaise,
- Peel warm potatoes, cut into about 3/4-inch cubes, and drop into dressing. Add
bell peppers; mix gently.
- Let cool to room temperature, at least 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup parsley and salt and pepper to taste; mix gently.
- Scrape into a serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
Yield: About 11 cups; 12 to 14 servings
Nutrition per serving: Calories 151(17% from fat); Fat 2.8g (sat 0.6g); Protein
3.6g; Cholesterol 0.0mg; Sodium 307mg; Fiber 2.2g; Carbohydrate 28g
Strain the pickle juice from the jar and use for dressing. If making salad
up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill; mix before serving.
Source: Sunset magazine, July 2004
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.