Caesar Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 8 red thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 anchovy fillets,
minced, plus about 5 whole fillets for garnish (about 1 ounce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan, bring 3 quarts water to a boil.
- Add potatoes, cover, and cook over medium heat until potatoes are just tender
when pierced, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove all but one potato from cooking water; immerse in cold water.
- When cool, cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-wide slices.
- Continue to cook remaining potato over medium heat until very soft when pierced,
and skin has begun to peel away, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove potato and cut in half; slice 1 half and add to the other sliced potatoes
- Immerse remaining half in cold water until cool to touch, about 3 minutes;
peel, cut in half again.
- Place in a blender with 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Whirl until smooth.
- Place in a small bowl; immerse bowl just to the rim in cold water until potato
puree is cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine minced garlic, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, lemon
juice, red wine vinegar, and minced anchovies.
- Mix in 2/3 cup of the cooled potato puree; pour over sliced potatoes. (Discard
remaining puree or reserve for another use.)
- Add grated parmesan cheese; gently mix to coat potatoes.
- Garnish with minced parsley and whole anchovy fillets.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, or if making ahead, chill up to 1 day.
Yield: 6 servings
If making ahead, add enough chicken broth to moisten to desired texture
Per serving: 184 cal., 8.7% (16 cal.) from fat; 6.5 g protein; 1.8 g fat
(0.7 g sat.); 35 g carbo.; 300 mg sodium; 5.2 mg chol.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/10/01 8:31:26 pm.