Independence Day Muffuletta Panini
Chef John Folse serves up delicious dishes in the best Louisiana style.
- Softened butter
- 8 large slices rustic or sourdough bread
- 16 thin slices
(6 ounces) provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup olive salad, drained or olive
- 8 thin slices (6 ounces) deli smoked ham
- 8 thin slices (6 ounces)
mortadella or balogna
- 8 thin slices (4 ounces) Genoa salami
- Brush both sides of bread lightly with butter.
- Layer 4 slices cheese over four of the slices of bread; top with olive salad,
ham, mortadella, salami, remaining cheese and bread.
- Cook sandwiches in a preheated panini maker until golden brown and cheese is
melted, about 3 minutes.
Sandwiches may be cooked in a preheated
ridged grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place a heavy skillet on top of sandwiches
to flatten; cook 3 minutes. Turn; replace skillet and continue to cook 3 to 4 minutes
or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Source: Chef John Folse