Grilled Foot-Long Coney Dogs
Five ingredients plus the dogs put a tasty classic on your dinner table in just
- 6 long hot dogs (each about 12 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili with beans
- 6 long hot dog buns, split
- 3/4 cup shredded
Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup), if desired
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. In each hot dog, make crosswise diagonal cuts 1/2
inch apart and 1/4 inch deep.
- Carefully brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place hot dogs on grill rack over medium heat.
- Grill uncovered 15 to 20 minutes, turning frequently and brushing occasionally
with butter, until hot dogs are hot and slashes begin to open.
- Remove label and top from can of chili.
- Add opened can of chili to grill for last 10 minutes of grilling, stirring occasionally,
- Serve hot dogs on buns with chili, cheese and onion.
Yield: 6 sandwiches
Did You Know?: Bermuda onions are exceedingly sweet and juicy, perfect for eating
raw on "dogs" and burgers. They're available only in the summer months
and are truly a treat to eat!
Substitution: Any long hot dogs will work for this recipe. Why not try turkey
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 660 (Calories from Fat 330); Total
Fat 37g (Saturated Fat 15g, Trans Fat 1 1/2g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 2060mg;
Total Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 10g); Protein 24g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 25%; Iron 30%
Exchanges: 3 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 High-Fat Meat;
3 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker © 2008 ®/TM General Mills.