New Mexico Green Chile Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 generous dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mild chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese,
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 green chiles, roasted and chopped*
- 4 slices
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 4 leaves romaine or red lettuce
* canned green chiles may be substituted
- Mix beef with garlic, pepper, ground chile, and salt in a large bowl.
- Shape into 4 flat patties.
- Heat broiler or grill.
- Cook burgers to desired doneness. Just before serving, sprinkle cheese on top
of each bun.
- Toast the buns until they are lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Top each bun with a hamburger patty, green chiles, an onion slice, tomato slice
and lettuce leaf.
- Serve immediately with fresh salsa on the side.
Yield: 4 servings