Almond and Rice Flour Bread with Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, with skins
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Place almonds and 1/2 cup of the flour in bowl of a food processor and grind
until a fine meal is formed - the flour will prevent the nuts from turning oily.
Add remaining rice flour, the baking powder, salt and 2 teaspoons of the poppy seeds;
- Combine yogurt, water, whole egg, egg white and oil in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- With processor motor running, pour liquid ingredients through feed tube over
flour mixture, processing just long enough to mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining poppy seeds, and bake
for 55 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool. (Bread slices best after several hours,
or the next day).
Makes one 18-ounce loaf (18 slices).
Per slice: 90 calories, 3 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (1 g saturated),
12 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
Source: San Francisco Chronicle, May 5, 1993
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.