- 9 large apples (such as Empire or Macintosh)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 8 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking
- Peel and slice the apples into medium-size wedges. In a medium bowl, toss the
apples with the lemon juice, orange juice, orange zest and ginger. Transfer the
apples to the prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, rice flour, tapioca
starch and butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles a crumble. Sprinkle the crumble
over the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Serve topped with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: Dina Altieri, instructor at the New England Culinary Institute, Montpelier,