This is a wheat-free recipe but does contain gluten.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup
- 2 cups barley flour
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place yeast in a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar and 1/2 cup warm water.
Put in a warm place to proof.
- Put remaining 1/2 cup warm water into a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of barley
flour and mix vigorously. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, oil and salt;
mix well. Add softened yeast mixture and beat briskly, then add bean flour and enough
remaining barley flour to make dough that can be kneaded.
- Place on a barley-floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Shape
into two round loaves and place on prepared cookie sheet; slash top of loaves diagonally
across tops. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Oil tops lightly, if desired, for more
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 1 hour using middle rack of oven. Remove
from cookie sheet onto wire rack and cool.
Makes 2 rounds (20 slices).
Nutritional Information: Serving Size: 1 Slice (27g); Calories 60, Calories
from Fat 10, Total Fat 1.5g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 20mg, Total
Carbohydrates 10g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g, Protein 2g