Cherry Ice Cream Sandwiches
This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. The number of sandwiches depends on
the size cookie cutter you use.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk – cold (refrigerate
or put in freezer until cold))
- 1/3 cup agave (or sugar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- Pinch kosher or fine sea salt
- Line a rimmed jelly roll pan with plastic wrap.
- Drain the maraschino cherries reserving 1/3 cup of the syrup. Dry the cherries
with a paper towel and coarsely chop. Put the cold coconut milk, reserved cherry
syrup, agave and vanilla extract in a blender. Process for 2 – 3 minutes until smooth
and frothy. (If your blender is not very big you can do this in two batches.) Pour
into an ice cream maker and process for about 20 – 30 minutes or per the manufacturer’s
directions. During the last 2 or 3 minutes of processing add the chopped cherries.
Spread the ice cream evenly onto the prepared jelly roll pan in a thickness of 1
– 1 1/2 inches. Depending on the size of the pan the mixture may not take up the
whole pan; that is ok. Put into freezer and freeze until firm, at least an hour.
- Cut the ice cream using the same cookie cutter as you made the cookies with.
Alternately you can just put the ice cream into a freezer proof container with a
lid and let it harden up for about an hour them scoop the ice cream placing one
scoop of ice cream between two cookies and gently pressing down.
- To assemble place the ice cream between two cookies and gently press. Can be
stored in the freezer for up to a week, wrap with plastic wrap or store in a freezer
Makes about 12.
Recipe developed by Carol Kicinski.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Cherry Growers Foundation.