- 48 maraschino cherries with stems (approximately 2 – 10 ounce jars), drained,
with 2 tablespoons juice reserved
- 1 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/3 cup
superfine sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch (not
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher
or fine sea salt – use divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray 48 mini muffin cups with non-stick
- Pat the maraschino cherries dry with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flours, starches and xanthan gum. If
using an all purpose gluten free flour in place of the flours and starches, omit
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the 1 cup of butter and cream cheese
and process until blended. Add the flour mixture or all purpose gluten free flour
blend and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the processor and blend until mixed. Do not over
process. Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of
dough per cookie and roll into balls. Place the balls into the prepared muffin tins.
Using your thumb or the end of a French rolling pin, make an indentation in each
ball. In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons reserved maraschino cherry
juice, the 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, sugar, egg and
vanilla extract. Put about 3/4 teaspoon of the mixture into each dough ball indentation.
Place a maraschino cherry in each cookie with the stems up.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned and the filling
is set. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish
Makes 48 cookies
Two cups of a good quality all purpose
gluten free four blend can be substituted for the flours, starches and xanthan gum.
Recipe developed by Carol Kicinski.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Cherry Growers Foundation.