- 48 maraschino cherries with stems (approximately 2 – 10 ounce jars), drained, with 2 tablespoons juice reserved
- 1 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/3 cup superfine sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt – use divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray 48 mini muffin cups with non-stick
- Pat the maraschino cherries dry with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flours, starches and xanthan gum. If
using an all purpose gluten free flour in place of the flours and starches, omit
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the 1 cup of butter and cream cheese
and process until blended. Add the flour mixture or all purpose gluten free flour
blend and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the processor and blend until mixed. Do not over
process. Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of
dough per cookie and roll into balls. Place the balls into the prepared muffin tins.
Using your thumb or the end of a French rolling pin, make an indentation in each
ball. In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons reserved maraschino cherry
juice, the 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, sugar, egg and
vanilla extract. Put about 3/4 teaspoon of the mixture into each dough ball indentation.
Place a maraschino cherry in each cookie with the stems up.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned and the filling
is set. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish
Makes 48 cookies
Two cups of a good quality all purpose
gluten free four blend can be substituted for the flours, starches and xanthan gum.
Recipe developed by Carol Kicinski.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Cherry Growers Foundation
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Recipes