Gluten-Free Allspice Gingerbread
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix*
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum powder** (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup natural, unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- Colored sugar, for decoration
* Gluten-free flour mix and almond meal or almond flour can be found in the gluten-free
or natural food section of most stores.
** Xanthan gum powder will improve texture of cookies but is not required to
make this recipe. It can be found in health food stores and baking or gourmet markets.
- In medium bowl, combine flour mix, almond meal, xanthan, baking soda, allspice,
cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pepper and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add molasses and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients in three batches, blending
just until fully incorporated. Dough will be stiff. Divide dough into two balls,
flatten into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or
up to 3 days.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove one dough disc from refrigerator and roll
out between two pieces of parchment paper or on lightly gluten-free floured work
surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment-lined
baking sheets. Sprinkle cutouts with colored sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 9 to 13 minutes, until edges of cookies are crisp. Cool cookies on sheet
2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight
container for up to 1 week.
Servings: 3 dozen cookies
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Recipes