Gluten-free Cherry S'More Brownies
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter – use divided
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free
Graham Style Crumbs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar – use divided
- 1 cup all purpose
gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or dried coffee crystals
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce)
jar maraschino cherries, drained, blotted dry and cut in half
- 2 cups miniature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with
gluten-free, non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the graham style crumbs with 1/4 cup sugar and
the melted butter. Pat firmly into the prepared baking dish covering the bottom
with an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, baking
powder, salt and instant espresso, set aside.
- Measure 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large, microwave or heat safe mixing bowl combine the rest of the chips
with the remaining 1 cup butter and microwave for 3 – 3 1/2 minutes or until
the butter is totally melted and most of the chips are melted. (Alternately
you can melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of barely simmering
water making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.)
- Stir the chocolate and butter together until the chocolate is fully melted,
the mixture is combined and glossy. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of sugar then
the eggs, flour mixture and vanilla. Pour the batter over the graham crust and
bake for 20 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Top the brownie layer evenly with the reserved 1/2 cup of chocolate chips,
the chopped walnuts or pecans, drained, dried and halved cherries and the marshmallows.
- Return to the oven and cook for 5 -7 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
in the center comes out almost clean.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for just about 30 seconds or so to brown up
the marshmallows – watch carefully so they don’t burn. Let cool.
- Cut into squares.
Recipe developed by Carol Kicinski.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Cherry Growers Foundation.