Gluten-Free Coconut Flour
These buttery-rich, crisp shortbread cookies are a great wheat-free alternative
to classic shortbread. Without the additional coconut flavor, they have the faint
aroma and taste of coconut thanks to coconut flour. With the flavor, you'll have
a cookie with robust coconut taste, perfect for dunking into a pot of chocolate
fondue or glass of milk. Of course, flavored or unflavored, we think these cookies
are perfectly snack-able as is, in all their subtle or robust coconut glory.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut flavor, optional; for stronger flavor
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line
it with parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients, by hand or mixer, until a well-blended, cohesive
dough forms; this will take about 2 minutes at medium-low speed in a stand mixer.
- Drop the cookie dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet (a
teaspoon cookie scoop works well here), leaving 1" between them; these cookies
won't spread much when they bake.
- Use a fork to flatten each cookie to about 1/4" thick, making a cross-hatch
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 12 minutes, until just browned on the bottom.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Prep 10 mins. to 15 mins. | Bake 8 mins. to 12 mins.
Total 18 mins. to 27 mins.
| Yield 22 cookies
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.