Gluten-Free Iced Cherry Rings
These delightful, gluten-free iced cherry ring cookies make a wonderful holiday
treat for those on wheat-restricted diets.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (be sure to use one that includes either xanthan or guar gum, if not add 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, dried well and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (more or less)
- 2 to 3 drops maraschino cherry liquid
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets
with butter (or line with silicon baking mats).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add
the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla, mix well. Stir in the flour, add the cherries
and mix with your hands until it forms a soft dough.
- Lightly flour a surface, roll out the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut into
3-inch rounds with a cookie cutter. Cut out the center of each cookie with a 1-inch
cookie cutter. Place the rings on the prepared baking sheets. Re-roll any trimmings
and cut more cookies. Bake the cookies in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until
they are firm and just beginning to color. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes
then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Mix the confectioners' sugar with lemon juice and maraschino cherry juice until
it becomes a smooth paste. It may take a little less of more lemon juice so start
with less and add a little at a time. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and let stand
until the icing sets, about 30 minutes.
Makes 10 to 15 cookies.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
nationalcherries.com; through ECES, Inc.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Recipes