Gluten-Free Pie Crust with Libby's®
Famous Pumpkin Pie Filling
Now you can enjoy the same great taste of LIBBY’S® Famous Pumpkin Pie with a
gluten-free crust. This flaky and light pie crust will be a welcomed addition to
those who have adopted a gluten-free lifestyle.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (29 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Whipped cream or topping (optional)
- For pie crust: Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour and salt
in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture
is crumbly. Form well in center. Add egg and vinegar; stir gently with a fork
until just blended. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork and clean
hands until mixture just holds together and forms a ball. (Be careful not to
add too much water as dough will be hard to roll.)
- Shape dough into ball and divide in half. Cover one half with plastic wrap;
set aside. Place remaining half on lightly floured (use rice flour) sheet of
wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch
thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish
(4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn
edge under; crimp as desired. Repeat with remaining half.
- For filling: Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl.
Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually
stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shells.
- Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until
knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream or topping before serving.
Prep: 15 mins | Cooking: 55 mins | Level: Easy
Cooling: 120 mins | Yield: 16 servings or two 9-inch deep-dish pies
3 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger
and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different.
This dough is easiest to roll and work with when used soon after preparing it.
Do not freeze pies, as this will cause crust to separate from the filling.
By: LIBBY'S PUMPKIN
Reprinted with permission from
VeryBestBaking.com and Nestlé®.