Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
And you thought you'd never enjoy your favorite sandwiches again! This recipe
yields a tender, tasty, high-rising loaf, perfect for classic ham and cheese, a
PB & J, or a BLT club. Toast and spread with butter and jam for breakfast, turn
into French toast, or make a luscious grilled cheese sandwich.
- 3 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend*
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
* See recipe for this blend below.
- Place the flour or flour blend, sugar, yeast, salt, and xanthan gum in a
bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix till combined.
- Using an electric mixer (hand mixer, or stand), drizzle in the milk, beating
all the time; the mixture will be crumbly at first, but once all the milk is
added, it'll come together.
- Add the butter and beat until thoroughly blended.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each in thoroughly before adding
the next. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat at high speed for
3 minutes, to make a very smooth, thick batter.
- Cover the bowl, and let the thick batter rise for 1 hour.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl, gently deflating the batter
in the process.
- Grease an 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pan, or a 9" x 4" x
4" pain de mie pan.
- Scoop the dough into the pan. Press it level, using a spatula or your wet
- Cover with greased plastic wrap, and set in a warm place to rise until the
loaf barely crowns above the rim of the 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" pan; or till
it comes to within about an inch of the rim of the 9" pain de mie pan.
This should take about 45 to 60 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time,
preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the bread for 38 to 42 minutes, until golden brown. If you're using
a pain de mie pan, leave the lid on the entire time.
- Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out of the pan, and cool on a rack.
Hands-on time: 14 mins. to 20 mins.
Baking time: 38 mins. to 42 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs 37 mins. to 3 hrs 2 mins.
Yield: 1 loaf
* Make your own blend
Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose
Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in
gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats,
keeping them fresh longer.
The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works
pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown
Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2
cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca
starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice
flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier
(unless you manage to find a finely ground version).
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.