Gluten-Free Southwest Roasted Chicken
An easy-to-assemble, melt-in-your-mouth kind of meal!
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, 3 pounds
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves or
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground
red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fold wings of chicken across back with tips touching. Tie or skewer drumsticks
to tail. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert
meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh muscle and does
not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered 30 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients; brush generously
over chicken. Roast uncovered about 1 hour longer, brushing 1 or 2 times with
butter mixture, until thermometer reads 180 degrees F and juice of chicken is
no longer pink when center of thigh is cut.
- Let stand about 15 minutes for easier carving.
Prep Time 10 min | Total Time 1 hr 55 min | Servings 6
- Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products
and ingredient sources can change.
- Have some extra garlic butter on hand? Skip the finely chopped garlic and use
1/4 cup garlic butter instead of the 1/4 cup butter.
- Forget about chopping garlic if you're not in the mood. You can use 1 tablespoon
of minced garlic from a jar instead.
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 300 (Calories from
Fat 190), Total Fat 21 g (Saturated Fat 5 g), Cholesterol 85 mg Sodium 170 mg Total
Carbohydrate 1 g (Dietary Fiber 0g), Protein 27 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 12%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from