Gluten-Free Taco Quesadillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 large plum tomatoes, finely diced (1 cup)
- Whole-milk sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Place oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Reduce heat
to medium and sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Turn heat to high, add ground beef and brown, stirring often.
- When meat is browned, drain off fat and return meat to pan over medium heat.
Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, mix thoroughly and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Lay out tortillas on a clean work surface and scatter 2 tablespoons cheese over
one half of each tortilla. Follow with approximately 2 tablespoons meat mixture,
and then 1 tablespoon lettuce and 1 tablespoon tomatoes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Fold filled tortillas in half, press down
lightly and place onto preheated grill pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, being careful tortillas
do not burn.
- Flip tortillas carefully and grill an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
- Serve immediately. Top with sour cream, if desired, and cilantro leaves.
Makes 15 quesadillas.
Quesadillas can be prepared a few hours ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
Simply grill them just before serving.
Per quesadilla: 141 calories, 56 percent calories from fat, 9 grams total
fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 32 milligrams cholesterol, 5 grams carbohydrates, 1
gram total fiber, .94 gram total sugars, 4 grams net carbs, 10 grams protein, 281
DO NOT use low-fat or fat-free sour cream, as they often contain maltodextrin
and/or modified food starch.