Gluten-Free Lemon Pancakes
Celebrate summer any time of the year: lemon and cornmeal give these pancakes
a bright citrus flavor that tastes great with blueberries, raspberry jam, maple
syrup, or simple butter and honey.
Be sure to read the list of ingredients before you start; you'll need potato
starch and xanthan gum to make these pancakes.
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (whole-grain preferred)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind or 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- Whisk together the first six ingredients and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, melted butter or oil, milk, and lemon. Whisk into
the dry ingredients. The batter should be thinner than regular pancake batter;
if it's not, stir in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk, or enough
to thin the batter.
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high; if you have an electric griddle, set
it to 350 degrees F. Grease the griddle.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons batter at a time onto the griddle. Cook the pancakes
for 1 to 2 minutes, until their tops are bubbly, their edges look dry, and their
bottoms are golden brown.
- Turn over and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, with butter and syrup.
Hands-on time: 8 mins. to 12 mins.
Baking time: 10 mins. to 30 mins.
time: 20 mins. to 45 mins.
Yield: 18 medium pancakes (3- to 4-inch)
Recipe and photography used with permission from
King Arthur Flour.