This is a wheat-free recipe. It is NOT a gluten-free recipe.
This is one that my family really likes.
- 1 small onion, cut up
- 1 small carrot cut up
- 3 or 4 links sausage (I use
Italian turkey sausage)
- 8 ounces frozen cut spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (can use part-skim)
- 2 1/2 cups bottled marinara sauce.
- 3/4 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon
each salt and fennel seeds
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Make biscuit dough as usual only substitute WHITE spelt for wheat flour. (It
transfers over the same...WHITE spelt can be used anytime in place of wheat, even
in your bread maker....makes great bread...light and fluffy). Roll out the dough
as you would for cinnamon rolls. Note: Please remember that spelt flour is NOT gluten-free!
- In a blender put onion and carrot. Blend it. I add a little of the chicken or
turkey broth to make it a liquid.
- Remove sausage from casing. Add to blender until blended. Add any chicken broth
that is left. Add garlic, salt and fennel seed. Add spinach. blend all. Put this
mixture in a bowl and add the ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese. Stir till blended.
Put this mixture on the rolled out dough. Roll (as you would cinnamon rolls) and
cut into rolls. Put into greased pan.
- Cover with marinara sauce and bake at 350 degrees
F for 45 minutes to one hour.
From the kitchen of Judy Corkill