Marsala Quinoa Gravy
Here quinoa takes the form of flour and helps produce a gluten-free alternative
to most other gravy recipes. Also, using canola oil in place of pan drippings reduces
the saturated fat content and makes it a heart-healthier choice.
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed
garlic 5 mL
- 1 cup Marsala wine 250 mL
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth 750
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour 125 mL
- 1 teaspoon salt 5 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon black
pepper 1 mL
- In small sauté pan, heat canola oil for about 1 minute on medium heat. Reduce
heat to low and add onion and crushed garlic. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes or until
onion begins to brown.
- In blender, place onion and garlic mixture, Marsala wine and chicken broth. Blend
- In medium saucepan, pour contents of blender and simmer 1-2 minutes on low-medium
- Sift quinoa flour into saucepan, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) at a time. Whisk until
combined after each addition. When all quinoa flour is added, cook 10 minutes on
low heat or until sauce thickens to gravy consistency.
- Add salt and pepper.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) | serving size 1/4 cup (60 mL)
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 80 Total Fat 5 g Saturated Fat
0g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 6 g Fiber 1 g Sugars 3 g Protein 1 g Sodium 290
mg Potassium 9 mg
Reprinted with permission from