Rice Flour Bread
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons xanthan
gum or 1 tablespoon dry pectin
- 2/3 cup non-instant dry milk or 1/3 cup soy powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- Dissolve the 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 cup water in a 2-cup bowl. Sprinkle on
yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes or until froth nearly reaches top.
- Combine water and shortening in saucepan. Heat until shortening melts. Cool to
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add yeast mix to flours. Blend well. Add
shortening mix. Blend well. Add eggs.
- Knead for a few minutes. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about
an hour. Pour dough into greased, small bread pans 3/4 full or into cans for round
breads. Let rise again.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Place foil over breads and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately, cool on rack.
Yield: 14 servings
Recipe may be doubled. Dough may be shaped for hot dog or hamburger buns after
first rising. For herb bread, add 2 tablespoons fennel seeds or dried herbs of choice
to dry flour.