Springtime Almond Sponge (Gluten Free)
This tender, moist sponge cake can be used in so many ways. Serve it plain with
a dusting of powdered sugar. Split it in half and fill with rich chocolate ganache
for a special birthday. Or serve it with cream and fresh berries, a perfect way
to celebrate Mother’s Day.
We’re constantly asked for recipes using almond flour in place of wheat flour.
Here the almond flour adds a gentle sweetness and tenderizes the eggs. Finely milled
almond flour, which is what we make at American Almond Products, ensures a delicate
texture in baked goods. Potato flour helps keep the cake moist although cornstarch
could just as easily be substituted.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Flourless Almond Sponge Cake
- 1 cup American Almond® Blanched Almond Flour
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced natural almonds
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch spring form
pan with parchment paper.
- Flourless Almond Sponge Cake: Stir together the almond flour and potato starch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the egg yolks
until lightened. Add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the vanilla. Beat on
medium speed until the mixture is foamy and falls from the whip in thick ribbons.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the remaining
1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Beat until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the almond flour mixture.
Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cake springs
back quickly when touched lightly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack in the pan.
- While the cake cools, make the Orange Glaze.
- Orange Glaze: Whisk together the powdered
sugar, orange juice and zest. Use a fork to drizzle the glaze over the cooled
cake. Sprinkle it with the sliced almonds.
Yield: 1 (8-inch) cake
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Love'n Bake® - American Almond
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Recipes