Springtime Almond Sponge (Gluten Free)
This tender, moist sponge cake can be used in so many ways. Serve it plain with a dusting of powdered sugar. Split it in half and fill with rich chocolate ganache for a special birthday. Or serve it with cream and fresh berries, a perfect way to celebrate Mother’s Day.
Yield: 1 (8 inch) cake
Flourless Almond Sponge Cake
- 1 cup American Almond® Blanched Almond Flour
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced natural almonds
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
Flourless Almond Sponge cake
- Stir together the almond flour and potato starch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the egg yolks until lightened. Add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the vanilla. Beat on
medium speed until the mixture is foamy and falls from the whip in thick ribbons.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Beat until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the almond flour mixture. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cake springs back quickly when touched lightly.
- Cool completely on a wire rack in the pan.
- While the cake cools, make the Orange Glaze.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Use a fork to drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Sprinkle it with the sliced almonds.
We’re constantly asked for recipes using almond flour in place of wheat flour. Here the almond flour adds a gentle sweetness and tenderizes the eggs. Finely milled almond flour, which is what we make at American Almond Products, ensures a delicate texture in baked goods. Potato flour helps keep the cake moist although cornstarch could just as easily be substituted.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Love'n Bake® - American Almond