Garden Grill Tri-Tip
Tri-Tip roast takes a dip in a flavorful marinade and then get grilled alongside a vegetable medley (ratatouille if you're fancy).
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 small red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 medium yellow squash and/or zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl.
- Place beef roast and 1/3 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
- Remove 1/4 cup of reserved marinade for ratatouille; set aside. Toss vegetables (except tomatoes) with remaining marinade.
- Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill; arrange vegetables (except tomatoes) around roast. Grill roast, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill eggplant and bell peppers 7 to 11 minutes; zucchini and yellow squash 8 to 12 minutes (on gas grill, eggplant 6 to 8 minutes; bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash 7 to 11 minutes) or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135 degrees F for medium rare; 150 degrees F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees F to reach 145 degrees F for medium rare; 160 degrees F for medium.)
- Meanwhile, cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Combine vegetables, tomatoes, basil and reserved 1/4 cup marinade in large bowl; toss to coat. Carve roast diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season roast and ratatouille with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Serve roast with ratatouille.
Total Recipe Time: 1 to 1 1/4 hours
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Reprinted with permission from
Cattlemen's Beef Board - Beef It's What's For Dinner.