Grilled Kansas City Strip Steaks with
Smoked Tomato and Grilled Onion Relish
- Wood chunks or 2 cups wood chips
- 2 large tomatoes, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 large red onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 4 (8 ounce) Kansas City beef strip steaks, 1 inch thick (beef top loin steaks)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- At least 1 hour before smoking, soak wood chunks or chips in enough water
to cover. Drain wood. For a water smoker, arrange preheated coals, drained wood
chunks, and water pan according to manufacturer's directions.
- Place tomatoes in a disposable aluminum pan. Smoke tomatoes for 1 hour.
(Or, for a charcoal grill, arrange medium coals around edge of grill.
- Sprinkle soaked wood chips over coals. Test for medium-low heat where food
will cook. Place tomatoes in pan on center of grill, not over coals. Cover grill
and cook for 30 minutes.)
- In a medium skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat
for 1 minute.
- Add garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown.
- Remove from heat; transfer garlic and oil to a medium bowl. Add capers;
- Arrange onions on a microwave-safe platter. Microwave on HIGH (100% power)
for 2 minutes.
- Brush onion with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Grill onion slices and steaks directly over medium coals until onion is
tender and steak is desired doneness (14 to 18 minutes for medium-rare), turning
- Meanwhile, core, peel, and chop tomatoes; add to garlic mixture.
- Chop onions; add to tomato mixture. Season relish and steaks with salt and
- Serve relish over steaks.
Makes 4 servings
Test Kitchen Tip: Use a smoker along with a grill for preparing the tomatoes
and steaks at the same time. Or, smoke the tomatoes up to 24 hours before serving.
Cover and chill the smoked tomatoes up to 24 hours.
Source: BH&G TV
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grilled Beef Recipes