Grilled Pesto-Stuffed Steak
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/4 cup finely chopped (oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- Pesto: Combine ingredients in a small, nonstick skillet. Cook over medium-low
heat, about 4 to 6 minutes or until garlic is tender not brown.
- Steaks: Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in each beef steak. Make a
horizontal cut through the center of each steak, parallel to the surface of
the meat, about 1/2 inch from each side. Cut to, but not through, opposite side.
Spoon half of the pesto mixture into each steak pocket, spreading evenly. Secure
openings with wooden picks.
- Place steaks on grill grid over medium-low, ash-covered coals.
- Grill steaks, covered, 16 to 19 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness,
turning frequently. Remove from grill; keep warm. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill tomato slices about 3 minutes or until heated through, turning once.
- Sprinkle with cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove wooden picks and carve steaks crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes.
Yield: 6 servings
Serve pesto-stuffed steak slices and grilled tomatoes with Romano cheese with
orzo or another tiny pasta tossed while still hot with Italian vinaigrette dressing
and more Romano (or Parmesan).
Serve with crunchy Italian toasts done on the grill after the steaks are removed.
Brush with Italian dressing instead of butter or olive oil during grilling on both
sides of the thick bread slices.
Source: Beef and Veal Culinary Center - Colorado
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grilled Beef Recipes