Molasses and Pepper Crusted Steak
- 4 Flat Iron, Top Sirloin, Tenderloin or Strip Steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Pour into zip-top bag containing steaks.
Seal tightly and flip a few times to evenly distribute marinade. Set in refrigerator
to marinate for 30 minutes-2 hours, flipping bag occasionally.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to 400 degrees F.
- Remove steaks and discard marinade. Season with salt and more pepper to
- Place steaks on oiled grates and grill for approximately 7-9 minutes on
one side, or until moisture starts to pool on the top and beef releases easily
from grates with tongs. Flip once, grilling on the other side for 6-8 minutes
or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F with meat thermometer inserted
into the thickest part of steak.
- Transfer steaks to platter and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing
against the grain.
Nutrition information per serving: 420 calories; 20 g fat (6 g saturated
fat; 0.5 g trans fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 80 mg sodium; 1060 mg potassium; 36 g
carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 32 g sugars; 24 g protein; 0% (DV) vitamin D; 15% (DV)
calcium; 20% (DV) iron; 30% (DV) potassium
Recipe and photo credit: Texas Beef Council