Grilled Strawberry Hand Pies
A homemade strawberry filling is the key to these yummy strawberry hand pies
made on the grill.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, mashed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- Disposable foil pizza pan
- Disposable foil pie pan
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- In 2-quart saucepan, stir together strawberries, granulated sugar and cornstarch
over medium heat. Heat to boiling; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until
very thick. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Unroll pie crusts on floured work surface. With 3 1/2-inch round cutter,
cut 8 rounds from each crust. Moisten edges with water.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons strawberry mixture on half of each crust round. Fold untopped
half of round over filling; press edges with fork to seal.
- Place pies on ungreased disposable foil pizza pan. Prick tops of pies with
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Try to maintain heat around
350 degrees F.
- Place foil pie pan upside down on grill to make elevated surface. Place
foil pizza pan on top so it is elevated off grill.
- Cover grill; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from grill; cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Servings 16 | Prep Time 30 min | Total Time 60 min
Store any remaining pies tightly covered up to 3 days.
No time to make homemade pie filling? Use canned cherry pie filling or a dollop
of strawberry preserves instead.
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1 Hand Pie Calories 160 (Calories from
Fat 50), Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg Sodium
130mg Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 11g), Protein 1g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
If baking these pies in the oven, bake them at 425 degrees F for about 10 to
15 minutes. Keep a close watch as ovens vary.
Reprinted with permission from Pillsbury.