Caramelized Salmon with Cherry Salsa
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen salmon fillet with skin
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 ripe mango or papaya, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen tart cherries, thawed, drained and halved*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, basil or cilantro
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Thaw fish, if frozen.
- Stir together brown sugar, orange peel and pepper. Place fish, skin side
down, in a shallow pan. Rub sugar mixture over fish. Cover and refrigerate 2
to 8 hours.
- Remove fish from pan, draining off any juices. Place salmon, skin-side down,
on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-hot
coals. Grill for 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Do not turn
- Meanwhile, toss together mango or papaya, cherries, mint, vinegar and red
pepper. Spoon fruit salsa over warm fish.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
* 1/2 cup dried tart cherries can be substituted for frozen tart cherries.
To bake salmon instead of grilling, spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking
spray. Put salmon, skin-side down, in pan. Rub with sugar mixture. Cover with foil
and refrigerate 2 to 8 hours. Bake, covered, in a preheated 350 degree F oven for
25 minutes. Remove cover and bake 5 to 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily.
Prepare fruit salsa as directed above. Spoon over warm fish. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 326 calories, 11 g total fat (2 g saturated
fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrates, 1.5 g fiber, 34.5 g protein
Dietary Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fruit
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cherry Marketing Institute