Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
- 12 large ripe plum tomatoes (about 3 pound)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
- 48 large shrimp (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, deveined, tails left on
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- Sauce: Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line jellyroll pan with aluminum foil.
- Bring pot of water to a boil.
- Working with half the tomatoes at a time, cook tomatoes in pot 30 seconds.
- Remove to colander; rinse with cold water to cool.
- Peel and core tomatoes; halve lengthwise; remove seeds. Set 4 largest halves
- Place remaining halves, cut sides down, on prepared pan.
- Drizzle with oil; top with garlic, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours, turning twice, until shriveled. Let cool.
- Pour off oil from pan and reserve (5 tablespoons).
- Reserve 3 garlic cloves, discarding remainder.
- In blender, process roasted tomatoes, reserved tomatoes, 3 tablespoons reserved
oil and 3 reserved garlic cloves, until smooth.
- Pour into bowl; add remaining salt, the ketchup, horseradish, lime juice,
jalapeno and pepper. Cover; chill. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead.)
- Shrimp: Soak skewers in cold water for 1/2 hour.
- In bowl, mix shrimp, 2 tablespoons reserved oil, the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Thread shrimp on skewers.
- Heat ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill shrimp 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked.
- Remove from skewers.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or slightly chilled, on lettuce with sauce.
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: Per serving: 164 calories, 13 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 1 g fiber, 113 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.