This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
- 12 large ripe plum tomatoes (about 3 pound)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
- 48 large shrimp (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, deveined, tails left on
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- Sauce: Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line jellyroll pan with aluminum foil.
- Bring pot of water to a boil.
- Working with half the tomatoes at a time, cook tomatoes in pot 30 seconds.
- Remove to colander; rinse with cold water to cool.
- Peel and core tomatoes; halve lengthwise; remove seeds. Set 4 largest halves
- Place remaining halves, cut sides down, on prepared pan.
- Drizzle with oil; top with garlic, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours, turning twice, until shriveled. Let cool.
- Pour off oil from pan and reserve (5 tablespoons).
- Reserve 3 garlic cloves, discarding remainder.
- In blender, process roasted tomatoes, reserved tomatoes, 3 tablespoons reserved
oil and 3 reserved garlic cloves, until smooth.
- Pour into bowl; add remaining salt, the ketchup, horseradish, lime juice,
jalapeno and pepper. Cover; chill. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead.)
- Shrimp: Soak skewers in cold water for 1/2 hour.
- In bowl, mix shrimp, 2 tablespoons reserved oil, the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Thread shrimp on skewers.
- Heat ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill shrimp 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked.
- Remove from skewers.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or slightly chilled, on lettuce with sauce.
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: Per serving: 164 calories, 13 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 1 g fiber, 113 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium