- 2 small trout, boned
- Olive oil or bacon fat
- Cracked black pepper and cayenne pepper
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, marjoram, thyme)
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.
- Choose 2 thick non-resinous boards (in other words no pine!) or a split
log. Soak in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- Build fire in front of a rock or sand pile to reflect heat towards fish.
Let it burn down to hot coals.
- Pile coals in front of rock.
- Center fish on boards, skin side down. Drive a few nails part way into each
fillet to hold it in place.
- Brush with oil; sprinkle with black and cayenne peppers, salt and herbs.
- Cover ends of boards with foil to catch drippings and to keep boards clean.
- Stand planked fish at an angle in front of fire, tail end down.
- Rotate plank to ensure even cooking.
- Cook until fish flakes in thickest part, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, remove nails.
Planked Trout may be broiled in a grill also. Place 6 to 7 inches from heat and
cook 10 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine on 7/24/2001, 8:32 am.
Source: Marlboro Country Cookbooks