Grilled Pineapple Summer Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups grilled pineapple, diced *
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Canned pineapple can be used in place of fresh, though the flavor won't be as good.
- To grill pineapple slices, brush lightly with oil, place onto a hot grill or grill pan, and cook for several minutes on each side, till the pineapple dries a bit and grill marks develop.
- Oven-drying the pineapple, rather than grilling it, also intensifies its flavor. To oven-dry pineapple, peel a fresh pineapple, and cut it into 1/4"-thick slices; no need to core it. Place the slices on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until the pineapple is barely beginning to brown around the edges.
- Cool the pineapple, and dice it.
- Combine the pineapple with the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, tossing to combine.
- Refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) before serving, to let the flavors mellow.
Yield: about 2 cups salsa
Hands-on time: 10 mins. to 15 mins.
Baking time: 50 mins. to 55 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs 5 mins. to 1 hrs 10 mins.
* Substitute diced fresh peaches or mangoes for the grilled pineapple, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.